8 Signs That Your Home Needs Electrical Rewiring

electrical rewiring

No matter how well you may have designed your wiring, wear and tear over the years makes an upgrade necessary. Faulty electrical wiring can lead to home electrical fires and with it, deaths, injuries and property loss.

Instead of taking the risk and waiting for a fire to erupt, you need to take preventive measures. Here are some telltale signs which tell you that it’s time you called the electrical company for an electrical rewiring.

electrical wiring

  1. Old fashioned aluminium wiring

While aluminium was preferred over the expensive copper in the 60s and 70s, it is now considered outdated and dangerous. Aluminium tends to contract and expand with the seasonal temperature changes and this loosens connections and increases the risk of a fire. If your home has aluminium wiring, it’s important you immediately change to copper wires.

  1. Tattered wiring

Tattered wiring is not only a strong indicator for electrical rewiring; it also signals amateur electrical work. As it’s very dangerous, make sure you call your commercial electrician Melbourne for some durable rewiring as soon as possible.

  1. Flickering and dimming lights

Frequently dimming lights may not seem an inconvenience but with time, concentrating gets difficult and you can’t do your everyday work like reading, cooking, studying and walking around your home. This also indicates the need for electrical rewiring as it may be due to a loose connection or an overloaded electrical circuit and should not be neglected.

  1. Burnt smells

If you smell burnt plastic, it means your wiring needs immediate checking as there is a high chance that it’s the start of a fire which can spread like havoc. So while you need to call your electrical company, you also have to thoroughly check your home to find the source of the smell.

electrical rewiring

  1. Hot outlets

If you notice your outlets seem to get hot when in use, it’s because of faulty wiring. Outlets do not get hot when in use and if this is not taken care of soon, you risk your home catching fire.

  1. Circuit breaker repeatedly trips

Okay. It’s normal for the circuit breaker to trip at times. However, if it seems to be tripping rather frequently, then it means something is wrong. It’s most probably because you are overloading its safety capacity, and this has to be taken care of immediately unless you want to place your home’ safety at stake.

  1. The absence of GFCI outlets

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) are very important for your home’s electrical safety as it’s usually placed in places where water and electricity tend to mix. As it stops electrical flow upon sensing irregularities in the current flow, having it protects your family from the risk of an electrical shock. If you don’t have one, it’s time you did!

  1. Frequently burning light bulbs

If you notice the light bulbs tend to burn in its socket all too often, it means the fixture has to be rewired as it cannot withstand the bulb wattage.

If you notice these 8 signs, and of course, any electrical shock when you touch or plug in a cord, it means your home needs an electrical rewiring. Do not neglect or procrastinate as it only places you and your family at a risk.